Carol's Shield's works include
- Others. Ottawa: Borealis, 1972.
- Intersect. Ottawa: Borealis, 1974.
- Coming to Canada. Ed. Christopher Levenson. Ottawa: Carleton University Press, 1992.
- Small Ceremonies. McGraw-Hill Ryerson, 1976.
- The Box Garden. McGraw-Hill Ryerson, 1977.
- Happenstance. McGraw-Hill Ryerson, 1980.
- A Fairly Conventional Woman. MacMillan, 1982.
- Various Miracles. Stoddart, 1985. (short stories)
- Swann: A Mystery. Stoddart, 1987.
- The Orange Fish. Random House, 1989. (short stories)
- A Celibate Season. Carol Shields and Blanche Howard. Coteau, 1991.
- Republic of Love. Random House, 1992.
- The Stone Diaries. Random House, 1993.
- Larry's Party. Random House, 1997.
- Dressing Up For The Carnival. Random House, 2000. (short stories)
- Unless. 2002.
- Collected Stories. Random House, 2003. (short stories)
Criticism and Biography
- Susanna Moodie: Voice and Vision. Ottawa: Borealis, 1976.
- Jane Austen. Penguin/Viking, 2001.
- Dropped Threads: What We Weren't Told. Ed. Carol Shields and Marjorie Anderson. Random House, 2001.
- Dropped Threads 2: More of What We Weren't Told. Ed. Carol Shields and Marjorie Anderson,. Random House, 2003.
- Departures and Arrivals. Blizzard, 1990.
- Fashion, Power, Guilt and the Charity of Families. Carol Shields and Catherine Shields. Blizzard, 1993.
- Anniversary. Carol Shields and Dave Williamson. Blizzard, 1998.
- Thirteen Hands and Other Plays. Vintage, 2001.